Friday, February 5, 2010

This is me sewing from a pattern

An *actual* pattern! With pieces to cut out and a 9 year old girl to measure. Hems out the wazoo and gathers till the cows come home.

The traditional 4th grade field trip to Rose Hill, the little one room school house just south of us. I really had no choice in the matter, what kind of crafty momma would I be if I DIDN'T make her a prairie dress?
I would have been a disgrace ;)

This I can say (without any kind of shame) is my first successful dress. And I'm not going to lie, I was scared. Necklines scare the bejezus out of me. I still have all the patterns I bought when Vi was just a baby, what I don't have is all the wonky dresses I made from those patterns! This success story is not likely to have a sequel any time soon though, at least not till October ;)





And I'll leave you with a rare non-blurry photo of one of our little Gerbil friends, who looks like a sweet little bunny (if you squint). I think it's because you can't see his rodenty tail ;)

7 comments:

Holly Hall said...

A darling dress for a darling girl. These are the things our girls will remember when they're all grown up, so they're totally worth a little frustration, right? :)

Margie said...

Very good job! She looks like she just came from The Little House on the Prairie! Precious:)

Heather said...

aw, she looks so adorable! And gosh...so much like you! Hope she has a great field trip!~

Ashley and Jason Faucett said...

I think it turned out great! I actually looks like the one Grandma made me like in 2nd grade, so I was about the same age! :)

TrishaHughes said...

I can't believe that place is still standing! I remember when I went my grandad made fresh apple butter for me to take. This is a memory she will love!

Brigid said...

My sister went on a field trip to the state capitol yesterday on which she wore colonial attire made by my dad's girlfriend. Apparently it's costume week. You did awesome! I need to learn to sew.

Adrian said...

Thanks ladies! It was definitely a challenge I'm glad I didn't bail on, or pass to my very skilled-at-making-clothes mother.
She had a blast, especially the part where the boys had to be extra courteous to the girls :)