Monday, May 2, 2011

A humble Kirby's Epic Yarn party

This past Saturday we had a little (really little) shindig for this kid:


Who is now SIX whole years old. We threatened him with everything in our arsenal to not grow up, to stop right there and stay five forever. Squirt politely explained that he just has to grow up :)

So we had a Kirby's Epic Yarn party at his request. This game is the Cutest of Cute, any crafty momma's dream come true, and a game I love love love to watch the kids play. It is "awwww" inducing cute.

That said, I realized that I am not clever or crafty enough to do it justice.
No way, no how, could I ever live up to this game.

I had several days of gloomy - I'm not a good enough mom to pull this off - he's going to be disappointed - I'm lazy and totally uncreative - SHAME. With everything else going on this month I just didn't have it in me (or in our budget) to have a "friend" party, so it was just family. And it's hard to rationalize going all out for just family.

We didn't have party favors or games. What we did have was cake (and cupcakes) and a helluva lot of streamers and balloons. I went old school and bought a cheap plastic Kirby off eBay for the top, not even the same game... shame.


The big cake was chocolate with vanilla frosting. I made all the little buttons out of Marshmallow Fluff Fondant, so they actually tasted good! The button tutorial I used is via Bake at 350.
And then piped very wonky stitching lines, in Kirby pink of course.  

Mini cupcakes are just chocolate with chocolate frosting, the button on top is freaking adorable. 


I agonized over the Club Nintendo website, registering games and answering questionnaires to earn enough points to buy the super cute Kirby Patches. I could have made my own, but again, lazy mom... shame.


I used a bunch of the super stiff felt sheets, which I wish came in more colors, and made his hat and stars.

This theme was too big for me though, an endless budget and loads more time would have made this a truly amazing party. But for a six year old I guess it worked out :)
Thankfully I took enough selective photos so maybe he'll remember it being more exciting! 

No comments: