Monday, August 29, 2011

Fringed Hobo Bag - Complete!


Even though this bag made me cry I still love it. Love the funny shape and goofy ball fringe. Love that my husbands first thought of what to put in it was "records". Love that the prints totally work, those hexagons rock my world!


But alas, I did cry. That dang 9th step. The final step, after all the work (and let's be honest, money) that has been put into this project, was the most frustrating sewing I have ever done. Every single piece on this bag is interfaced and I used the fusible fleece on both exterior and lining, because of the mid-weight fabric. There was no freaking way I was going to be able to topstitch through ALLLLLL of that mess, not to mention we're sewing on a curve here. I attempted to do the topstitching, I really did, but it was so sad and wonky I ripped that right out.
So I just topstitched the top handle and left the rest to be just as puckery and funky as it wanted to be.


Because I did not topstitch the inside curve, that means I hand stitched the other side closed. Now you know I can hand stitch the hell out of a project so it looks pretty decent, considering. I'm sad to say I will probably not ever, never ever, ever, make this bag again. I could feel myself leaning into the darkness, wanting to chuck the whole mess in the trash.
Next month's bag looks fun, complicated as all get out, but fun!

I am still cranking out the monkeys, if anyone was worried...


Mini traditional red heel monkeys, super dee duper cute :)

6 comments:

michelle said...

when are you going to have stuff in your shop? :) I know you're still unpacking and whatnot!

The bag turned out adorable though!!

Robin said...

There may have been some tears, but at least the bag is fabulous!!! I'm lovin' the fringe you chose, and the fabrics truly harmonize together beautifully. Gorgeous!!!

Bree said...

Looks good, even without the top stitching. I really, really like the fabrics you used!

Marci Girl said...

I think it is fabulous! Love the fabrics you have chosen!

Ashley and Jason Faucett said...

I think it turned out great! I personally don't like round bags like this because they are so hard but you of course did well! I love the fringe and fabrics!

sarahbethe said...

I think it turned out great! I also had trouble with the final step. My side handles are all "bunchy" in parts and the top-stitching drove me up a wall. I love the fabrics you chose!