Sunday, October 30, 2011

Le Sigh

I need some cheering up, folks.
I stumbled across a tutorial for one of my designs, something I've been making since 2007 (whoa baby!). Copied down to the tiniest detail. Feeling hurt and not a bit flattered.

I am seriously considering not making this particular item anymore, I'm not sure this is a reasonable reaction though. It's almost like it isn't mine anymore.

I do believe that it is hard to find a genuinely new idea out there in this big world, but copying someone's style and unique tweak is apparently easy as pie.

Hopefully this bummer of a mood won't cause me to eat all the mini Almond Joys in the house before tomorrow nights candy fest.


Additional thoughts, 11/28/2011
 I did end up sending the offending copier an email.
I'm sure it was full of emotion and was maybe a tad dramatic. It's not the end of the world, or even the worst thing a fellow crafter could do to another, I get that. Sadly her reply was less than remorseful, and honestly I was hoping for a little regret or a sorry at least. So, I'm still sour and prickly.
Maybe this is a cosmic hint that *I* need to evolve this particular pattern :)

3 comments:

Briana Shepley said...

What a bummer! I can understand what a blow that must be :( I bet though that anyone who is making them aren't making them with the quality that you are! Nor the ability to mix patterns like you so I would rest assured that yours are top shelf and people want YOUR product :)

michelle said...

i'm so sorry that this happened to you. I see this a lot online and its so wrong. =(

annotations said...

I am so sorry for your disappointment. I do agree with Briana about all the qualities that make your pieces SO special and feel it would be impossible to hijack your care, flair, and craftsmanship. I'd hate to see you discontinue the item because it is obviously something people like. Poo on the posers!

I was thinking of you the other day when I was talking about the Indie art sale at Quiltworks and one of the ladies who worked there said she knew you. I told her I was excited about your move and am looking forward to seeing you at a sale soon!

Hope there were some Almond Joy bars left for the little goblins!