Tuesday, January 24, 2012

September's Bag - Blossom Handbag


 September's bag was the Blossom Handbag/Shoulder bag. I was dreading this bag the most on a skill level, so professional! The little handle bits especially freaked me out. Though I'm happy to say it wasn't really all that bad! I might even consider making this again... it is a really great size for showing off fabrics.


Speaking of fabrics! I chose with the recipient in mind :)
Technically from my stash, though they were recently purchased... the stash is ever growing! I ended up not using the black dot print for the interior as I had intended, I felt it might just be tooo dark. So, I went with a basic cream solid for the dividers and used the pink balloons for the lining. I also used a grey twill for the bottom outside panel.


And here we are complete! On an overcast day! I am really pleased with how it turned out, even the tricky handle bits. I had to watch the print directionality and repeating pattern, I am glad I had had my coffee when I cut into the fabric.



The only irritating moment I had with this pattern was step 17(c) where she wants you to bar tack through 8 layers of fabric, 4 layers of fusible interfacing, and 2 layers of peltex. Now I know my machine is old (ahem, vintage) but Holy Smokes. I ended up having to do that bit by hand, puncturing my poor finger through my thimble. Overall though, not bad!
Next up is the Miss Maven Ruffled Handbag!

4 comments:

annotations said...

What a beautiful job and fantastic gift! Glad you stuck with it but sorry you stuck your finger. Ouch! Guess we all sacrifice a little for our art.

averie said...

SO cute! love it.

Robin said...

Looks beautiful! You did a great job. I'm thinking about making another too, because you are so right-- it is a great showcase for a beautiful fabric! (And I like the size of it too!) :)

Mariapia said...

I LOVE your bag! The print is wonderful, and it came out so great!