Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cat Shelves

Yes. Cat Shelves.
Sometimes I get restless and any little idea that blows past me becomes an I HAVE TO DO THIS RIGHT NOW!!! kind of project. It must be more than a little irritating to my sweet husband who I'm sure had plans of his own this weekend. But now I feel better, it's out of my system. I think everyone needs a good old fashioned diy project every once in a while. Hit up the hardware store and crack open the stain, let's get this done.


Basically what we have here are shelves specifically for cats. For them to perch on, sleep on, and use to climb up to the ultimate sleep spot... the top of the china cabinet. Four wood shelves with simple corner braces, keeping it cheap. I picked up a sweet orange/pink/brown houndstooth remnant at the local fabric shop and whipped up cushions for the shelves. In the process attaching velcro to the bottom of the cushion and top of the shelf to keep them from sliding off onto the floor every other breath. Then of course I got stingy with the rest of that sweet fabric and made the tippity top cushion out of leftover pink fleece. It's soooo high up there, no one would see it... right? Wrong. I may end up making a new one if that pink starts to bug me.

Of course I had to go find a cat to put on the shelf for the photo, they haven't exactly explored their new space yet. I have hope, who could resist such a fun napping space?!

3 comments:

averie said...

wow- this is genius. I don't have a cat, but I might get one JUST so I can have cat shelves.

Briana Shepley said...

Love, love, LOVE it! We have grand dreams of putting shelves similar to this on our back porch for the cats once we get it screened in....in a million years! ;)

knuckstermom said...

I just came across your blog in some googley kind of way and so in catching up with your posts I gotta tell you...You are fantastic! The TV dog bed, the round purse-which I want to make so bad it's fearful-I just wanted you to know I am loving your blog. Thanks for sharing your greatness!!!!